Saturday, September 26, 2015

Review: Urban Decay Vice 4 Palette

Hello everyone! If you know me, you know that Urban Decay is one of my favorite brands ever, and I collect the Vice palettes that come out every year. They came out with their Vice 4 palette for Holiday 2015, and today I bring you my review of it!

Here is some info on the palette from Sephora:

What it is:
A limited-edition palette packed with 20 gorgeous, never-before-seen shades, a huge mirror, a double-ended brush, and a chic bag.

What it does:
Urban Decay created Vice4, loaded with 20 gorgeous shades of their iconic Eyeshadow. It features a huge mirror, a double-ended brush, and a coordinating bag. This palette channels the darkly alluring, dimensional hues of an oil slick—inspired by their vintage shade name Oil Slick. These shades are filled with rich, deep jewel tones in a wide range of finishes—from velvety-smooth mattes and shimmering metallics to shades infused with micro-glitter. Each Eyeshadow in Vice4 is formulated with Urban Decay’s own Pigment Infusion System™, a proprietary blend of ingredients that deliver rich, velvety, blendable color that lasts and sparkle that stays in place.  



Taking a look at the colors, you can see just how pretty they are. I expect nothing less from Urban Decay by adding in those bright shades, but also some neutral ones as well. The double ended brush this comes with is alright, but I don't see myself using it. I love the bag the palette is housed in, as you can use it for a nice sized makeup bag for travel, or you can just keep the palette inside it for protection. 

Swatches of top row, L to R
Bones: Oyster satin with pearl
Grip: Taupe matte with iridescent micro-glitter
Deadbeat: Black satin with micro-glitter
Beatdown: Deep metallic violet with blue micro-glitter
Pandemonium: Metallic plum with iridescent micro-glitter

Swatches of second row, L to R
Framed: Light neutral, matte satin
Fast Ball: Metallic peachy pink with micro-glitter
1985: Metallic fuchsia with fuchsia micro-glitter
Underhand: Burgundy-brown satin
Harlot: Metallic lavener

Swatches of third row, L to R
Discreet: Soft dusty mauve matte
Grasshopper: Metallic emerald with green micro-glitter
C-Note: Frosted green with micro-glitter
Arctic: Bright teal with tonal sparkle
Robbery: Deep metallic brown-gunmetal

Swatches of fourth row, L to R
Bitter: Reddish brown matte
Flame: Bright orange with gold micro-glitter
Low: Brown matte with iridescent micro-glitter
Crowbar: Black with golden metallic pearl/micro-glitter
Delete: Deep chestnut brown matte satin

So, you can clearly tell by the shade name descriptions that they had a blast with micro-glitter. Usually, I don't mind that. But in all honesty, it kinda put me off to this palette. While swatching all the colors, I had so much fallout that I was pretty shocked by. Putting a brush in the colors kicks up product as well. While I still love Urban Decay as a brand, part of me thinks that they're lowering their quality lately, especially with holiday releases. I don't know if it's just me and my personal tastes changing or what, but if these shades didn't have as much glitter in them, I would sure love them more. Deadbeat, Pandemonium and Flame are beautiful shades, but they're some of the worst in the palette with the glittery fallout. I'm a fan of UD's matte shadows in general, so I have no complaints about the ones in this palette; Framed, Discreet, Bitter and Delete. The colors that I have loved the most are Underhand, Harlot, Robbery and Bones. 

For this palette being $60, I honestly expected a bit more from Vice 4. The colors are undeniably beautiful, and there are some real good ones that are easy to work with. Part of me regrets buying this palette, even though I'm a collector. 

I guess the main questions are, is this palette worth it, and do you need it? I hate to say this, but my answer is going to be NO to both questions (unless you're a crazy palette collector like I am). Maybe I just need to use it more to make a final decision but I truly feel like for the high price tag, it could be better. If you do want this palette, I purchased mine from the UD website, but it also is on the Sephora site.

What are your thoughts on the Vice 4 palette?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your comments! I'll reply back as soon as I can :)