Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette

Hello everyone! I have an exciting review today of the new-ish Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette. When it first came out, I was so on the fence about getting it because I heard a ton of mixed reviews. My mother-in-law had gotten me a Sephora gift card for Christmas, so I figured I might as well try it for myself and form my own opinion. 

Before I get into the review, here is a description of the palette taken from the Sephora website:

Inspired by Too Faced’s Chocolate Bar Eye Shadow Collection, this Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar palette is a deeper, warmer version of the original coveted palette. Infused with the scent of sweet chocolate, this collection features 16 antioxidant-rich, cocoa powder-infused shadows in matte and shimmer shades with warm caramels, deep mochas, bronzy chocolate, and vibrant sugared blueberry hues. These rich, high-pigment shades are perfect for any season, and it includes a signature how-to Glamour Guide to help you get started with three eye looks. 

The one thing I absolutely love about this palette is that they put the names of the shadows on the actual palette. The first palette that I also have only came with a plastic sheet with the names on it. As far as I know, they still don't have the shade names on it, but the size of the palette is thinner, like the new one is. This one is a lighter shade of brown so you can distinguish between the two palette. It comes with a little how-to guide as well so you can create different looks. 



Top to bottom: Licorice, Coconut Creme, Cocoa Chili, Pink Sugar, Puddin', Rum Raisin, Mousse, Caramel
Of these colors, my favorites are definitely Caramel, Rum Raisin, and Cocoa Chili. Pink Sugar is nothing but pink sparkles. There is no pigment whatsoever, which I find pretty annoying and the actual pan of it is loose in the palette when I swatch it. The other colors to me are just basic colors that can be duplicated in other palettes and single shadows. 



Top to bottom: Nougat, Truffled, Hot Fudge, Blueberry Swirl, Peanut Butter, Frosting, Bon Bon. Butter Pecan is missing, sorry!
I'm so torn on this side of the palette. I was so unimpressed by the Blueberry Swirl shade, but tried to make it work by using a blue eyeliner as a base. It helped a bit, but the pigmentation is just not that good. Peanut Butter is such a good transition shade and it has to be my favorite in the palette. Nougat is great when blending out harsh lines and bright colors. I also really love Frosting. I'm so sorry Butter Pecan is missing, but on my skin, it just gives alot of shimmer and not much color payoff. 

Ok, so overall, I do like this palette, but it's hardly as good as the first Chocolate Bar Palette. If you asked me which of the two I prefer, there is no doubt that I would say the first one. This does cost $49, just like the first, but with it not being as impressive as the first, I feel that's a high price considering the lack of pigment. The textures of the shades aren't terrible, some are hit or miss, they blend well and some of the colors do look beautiful on the eye. Like I said above, Peanut Butter is just a beautiful crease shade and you can make it darker or less intense if you like. If you're like me and have an obsession with eyeshadow palettes, get it and see what you think. However, I don't think this is necessary to have in your collection. 

You can find the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar palette wherever Too Faced is sold, but I did purchase mine at Sephora. 

Have you tried this palette? What do you think of it?

Also, if you're in the US, you can enter my Borghese giveaway! 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, interesting. I'm on the fence with this palette. I guess I'm just not that impressed? I think I'd pass on purchasing this one, sadly.

    xo,
    Elizabeth
    Epise Of Cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not too impressed honestly. It's alright, just a few shades are good. I am glad I had a gift card to use so I didn't waste my money!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments! I'll reply back as soon as I can :)